Many groups support St. Columba by activities that take little time at their meetings, but make a huge
difference in the help that we can provide to those in need. The following is a list of ideas that your
group can implement. More specifics can be found on our half page handout.
1. Collect items that we need at the Day Center:
- food pantry items
- used clothes
2. Make sandwiches for our Day Center
- Groups/families get together and purchase supplies to make sandwiches: bread, baggies, cheese,
ham (or another lunch meat), face masks and disposable gloves – no condiments.
- Make sandwiches and put each sandwich into a sandwich bag, put all sandwiches into the bread
sleeve and deliver to St. Columba. Social distancing will be practiced during delivery. Please wear
gloves and masks when making sandwiches and practice safe food handling (e.g., not leaving our
- More detailed information on this opportunity to get involved can be found in our Procedure for
Making Sandwiches and our Sandwich Agreement which is required of all groups/families to certify
that they practiced safe food handling. Please call Alicia at 627-6748 if you still have questions after
reading these documents.
3. Create hygiene kits for homeless individuals
- include hotel/sample size of some of the following:
shampoo soap toothbrush toothpaste razors
4. Special occasion treats:
- e.g., baggies of Easter candy or cookies for Easter, Valentine’s Day or other holidays
Please, call Alicia at (757) 627-6748 if you are interested in helping in one of these ways or have other
ideas to help those in need.
St. Columba Ecumenical Ministries, Inc.
2114 Lafayette Blvd., Norfolk, VA 23509 Phone: 757-627-6748 Fax: 757-622-2569